Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our Newest Food I

The last couple of years, I have been on so many bandwagons and tooted so many horns - and tried so many new recipes!  Some we love and others are short-lived phases or temporary addictions.

At first, it wasn't easy to find gluten-free and casein-free foods... but, when we added yeast, vinegar, MSG and CORN to our list of forbidden foods, it did get a little bit trickier.

Now days, not such a big deal...

We deal with it. What other choice do I have? None.

The last couple of months, we have been doing something new!

Ready? Sprouts!

Yes, we sprout. We sprout just about anything than can be sprouted.

Why? Well, for many reasons, but - the biggest is that sprouts are tasty, full of vitamins and antioxidants and Nicolas loves them. And did I mention antioxidants?

We've learned so much about living foods, raw foods and our powerhouse antioxidant sprouts, that I just might have to do another post about how to sprout.

And, since I really need to shed some pounds before summer, I am eating sprouts too. We eat them raw, stir-fried, baked and often, just simply added in with our baked breads, muffins and scones. (Anytime my muffins don't turn out, I call them scones now...)

We sprout grains, seeds, nuts, vegetables, etc. And my goals is to keep 2 - 3 kinds of sprouts going at all times. Why? Well, because they all harvest at different times and are eaten/enjoyed in different ways.

Right now, we are sprouting broccoli sprouts. They look similar to alfalfa sprouts that you often see on salads and sandwiches, but - they are not the same. These little darlings are amazing!

First of all, broccoli sprouts are in the brassica family. Sound familiar? They should. Seems everywhere I look I find new information about broccoli being an excellent cancer inhibitor - at least the natural kind that we eat. 


From what I read, broccoli sprouts are also the highest known dietary source of the potent anti-cancer phytochemical, Sulphoraphone (antioxidant), and they contain 50 times more than the mature broccoli head. Yes - the little guys are better for us than the big heads! (That really sounded odd...)

The whole family is getting used to jars on the counter, growing our little sprouts.



I am just a newbie at this, but - it is going well and I hope to be sprouting for a long, long time.  Nicolas does not react to sprouts, and this is good news - especially considering that the boy is always hungry.  I am very aware that we need a variety of foods for him, and I need to keep them rotating.

After the last year, I will take all the good news I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment