Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why should I care about infant formula?

If you have the time, you should read this. You should. Really. Even if you are "beyond" the need for baby food, you must know someone who has a baby or your children will someday make you a grandparent...

Here's what the headlines are:

Safety Risks in Infant Formula Produced in the United States

Honest - I am not trying to depress you, but - wake up and realize that the only person who is going to take care of you is you. Not the FDA. Not the CDC... not anyone who can and does make money or can be bought with money.

Years from now, I wonder what we will think when we look back at our present situation. We are in our infancy, so to speak, in regards to additives, ingredients, safety and of course - immunizations and vaccines.

So, what do you do? Get an ulcer? Lose faith in mankind? Fall in to deep depression? No.

For myself, I do not deny what is happening. Denial doesn't help.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst? Well, that's not really all that healthy either.

I think that when we have knowledge of some "evil" that we believe to be true, we need to act on it. Meaning that if I know that aspartame and MSG are excitotoxins and bad for human consumption, well - then, I need to avoid eating them and giving them to my children. I don't tell everyone I meet about Aspartame and MSG - but, I do educate people at least a few times a a week. At the very least, I encourage them to do a little research themselves. And, that doesn't mean that you ask your friends and relatives. Look in different places.

I usually go to the FDA, CDC, and then to google and check out a few of the vegan and vegetarian websites as well as a few over on the other side too. If I only look in the same place, I will only find the same information, right? The library doesn't hurt either, although information isn't as current. Thank God for the internet!

Lastly, I pray that God would protect us, and guide me - as a parent, to make well-informed decisons about our health, diet and the foods we eat. I do believe that He hears me and that alone is comforting.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18

No comments:

Post a Comment