Friday, August 7, 2009

Back to Carrot Juicing

After a 6 week break from juicing, I am back at it. Nick has circles under his eyes that make him appear to be related to raccoons! I have been wracking my brain trying to find the common denominator, and it can only be a couple of things.

First of all, it could be that I quit juicing for him. Why did I stop juicing? Because, I thought, it is summertime and he gets an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables in his diet; why bother juicing during the summer months... poor judgment on my part.

The only other thing that has changed is that I am allowing him to eat all the fruits he would like; meaning, unlimited fruits AND that he is allowed to eat grapes and berries. While we were anti-yeast, he did not eat any skins at all. I still peel his peaches, apples and pears, however. His gluten-free bread does not have yeast. His salad dressing is also yeast-free.

Hmmm... something else I have noticed is that he can get a little weird from seedless watermelon. I have purposely watched for reactions from him, and out of 7 times, he has gotten weird 5 out of the 7. ((sigh))

Here's why I started juicing in the first place, other than I believe that God told me to - I read about it on Dr. Mercola's website and it made sense:

  1. Juicing helps the body to be able to absorb all the nutrients from the vegetables. This is important because most of us have impaired digestion as a result of making less-than-optimal food choices over many years and with the strong possibility of Nick's leaky-gut syndrome, I am not convinced that his body has the ability to absorb all the nutrients from the vegetables. Juicing with our Champion juicer (a masticating juicer) help to "pre-digest" the food/vegetables and fruits, so Nick will receive most of the nutrition, rather than having it go down the toilet.

  2. Juicing allows you to consume an optimal amount of vegetables in an efficient manner. If you are a carb type, you should eat one pound of raw vegetables per 50 pounds of body weight per day. Some people may find eating that many vegetables difficult, but it can be easily accomplished with a quick glass of vegetable juice.

  3. You can add a wider variety of vegetables in your diet. Many people eat the same vegetable salads every day. This violates the principle of regular food rotation and increases your chance of developing an allergy to a certain food. But with juicing, you can juice a huge variety of vegetables that you may not normally enjoy eating whole, or even juiced. I can sneak veggies in and add a carrot and the flavors are disguised.

Carrots are also very high in an anti-oxidant called beta-carotene, which helps with those free-radicals and also greatly improves the immune system. Vitamin A, minerals, all kinds of good stuff! Good, good and good.

I am eager to find out if Nick's eye circles dissipate too. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment