Friday, April 10, 2009

Fearfully & Wonderfully Made

As hard as I try, I just can't eat perfectly. Not yet anyway. I still sneak once in a while, but - I am free of headaches and migraines when I stay away from ALL forms of MSG and most sweeteners.

I know that I spend a lot of time squawking about bad ingredients and awful additives... and it's true. Many additives are not good for us and I believe that once we have the knowledge about a particular additive, we need to apply that knowledge and care for our bodies by either avoiding it, or limiting our intake... especially if we are healing or recovering. Remember, I am the one living with "Nicolas the Unpredictable" and helping to heal him. There's nothing worse than trying to function in a foggy, exhausted or lethargic state.

If you've ever had surgery and been on some of the stronger narcotics for an extended period of time, you know what I mean. Or - it you've ever taken too much allergy medicine, oh - yuck, isn't that just the worst? And, if you've ever been hung-over... ew, that weak, dopey feeling... And, it takes a some time to get back to normal after our alternate state, even if just temporary. Getting adequate rest, proper nutrients and hydration are so important when regaining strength, recovering, healing and preventing the undesired state from happening again. So, we quit taking our pain pills and antihistamines and lay off the booze. (Smile...) Then, in time, we do eventually go back to our former state of being balanced, healthy and feeling good... and all is well once again.

Same holds true for those of us who are recovering our kids. It takes time. I have to be patient... although, I would accept a divine supernatural healing for Nicolas -- absolutely!



I am so thankful that God created us with a liver and kidneys. The more I learn about how Nick's digestion, metabolism, immune system and other bodily systems function -- and how his little boy brain functions, the more I am convinced that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. I get a little sad from time to time, thinking that it's not fair that our kids (that are in the spectrum) have to go through what they have to go through... but - there is no fair. No guarantee of fairness; only the guarantee that if we are born, we will die. I am not morbid or painting a sad picture; It's true and it is reality. Still... I am filled with awe at just how awesome our bodies are. And I know there is Someone who knows Nicolas better than I do and who loves him more than I do... but - I can't imagine it. I can't imagine it because I am human and can only love as a human being can. I am reminded that although I wish I were "Super Mom", I am but a mere moral warrior mom... fighting ASD's. But - I believe that what the Bible says is true and that means I have hope. A lot of hope, regardless of what I see.


To you, O Lord, I life my soul

In you, O God, I place my trust

Do not let me be put to shame

Nor let my enemies triumph over me

My hope is you

Show me your ways

Guide me in truth

In all my days

My hope is you

Taken from Psalm 31...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post. Our hope is in Him. Have a wonderful day tomorrow celebrating the resurrection of our Lord.

    ReplyDelete