Saturday, April 25, 2009

I haven't slept well since reading this

I know, I know... I am supposed to try to keep things positive. That was one of the original reasons that I started to blog. There's just so much going on in my head that I need to get it out - well, sorta.

I have asked and asked and asked if Nick's dental work could have anything -- I mean anything at all to do with the onset of his condition... and every time the answer has been "no". No, dental work could not have brought his condition out. Nope.

Nicolas was a 30 week preemie and (before he was even full-term), he was given 5 shots the day he was released from the NICU in 2001. The shots did, in fact, have thimerosol in them. Poor baby... And, I have wondered and wondered if his 4 fillings and one silver crown could have had anything at all to do with mercury or with his ability to handle it and again... I was told "no". I am still told NO.

I just accept the little pat on my over-worried mother head and go in search of the next dentist to bother. Same response. Fillings are completely safe. (Gag...)

So, why then do (my memories) the thoughts of Nick's dental procedures keep coming back into my mind? He had the dental work and then, starting having behavior issues. Am I so desperate for a "cause" to his condition that I keep searching? No. I do not believe it was just one thing. Don't fight me on this one. I can feel my "instinct" rising... and, I am the parent of a little 7-year-old boy who wasn't always like this. Parents know their children. I know my child. Remember, Nicolas did not show any symptoms of ASD until after the age of 4. The only symptoms he showed prior was that he did not like the texture of some foods and he hated strong, chlorinated city water. And, I don't know if I can even call those "autism symptoms"... good grief. We have always had reverse osmosis water and I hate city water too. It's disgusting...Grrr...

Anyway, if you're in a less-than-optimistic mood, you may want to consider leaving this post and not reading the rest. I will honestly tell you that I was pretty teary eyed after reading this article at the Autism Research Institute (ARI) regarding fillings. I haven't slept well since.

I will post something positive next week. Maybe I'll show you the latest addition to our family. He's pretty cute!


Recommendations for Safe Dental Care

On June 12th, 2008, the FDA finally admitted on its website that silver fillings in our teeth are toxic and harmful to our health, and that they "may have neuro-toxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses."

ARI asked Dr. Donald Robbins for his recommendations for safe dentistry.

Dr. Donald Robbins, DMD

"While most of us are aware of mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings, many are not aware that about half the dentists in the United States still use them. For most people, concern ends there, because most people are not aware of exposure to other toxins caused by simply walking into an average dental office.

Let’s explore what kinds of chemicals are used--and not controlled--in these offices. For instance, a dental office might advertise proudly that they do not use mercury dental fillings, but instead replace old silver fillings with the newest white bonded ones, while they in fact are exposing their patients, their staff, and themselves to mercury vapor in their office every minute. Mercury vapor is released in extremely high concentrations when the silver filling is heated incidentally during the drilling procedure. Unless specific precautions are taken to control the mercury vapor released every time an old “silver” filling is drilled out, that vapor is contaminating everything in the office. In addition to the vapor, minute toxic particles are sprayed into the air during filling removal."

(This is from the end of his article...)

"Remember, mercury can have serious negative short-term impact on your health. People who cannot excrete mercury efficiently (like young children with ASDs from thimerosal in vaccines, or from another source of mercury) are at a higher risk for bad reactions. But mercury also has insidious long-term effects that progress slowly, such as Alzheimer’s disease or cardiovascular damage. Children who already have been injured by mercury exposure have demonstrated an inability to adequately excrete this metal. Any small addition of mercury will have a magnified effect, and may cause a relapse of negative health symptoms.

You must take control of your health decisions. Know the facts, and know about the treatment practices of any medical or dental office you use."

And, of course Dr. Mercola has something similar to say. Why didn't I see this before?

Just How Much Mercury Do These Fillings Release?

"Remember, any kind of stimulation can cause these fillings to release mercury. Eating, drinking, brushing your teeth, grinding your teeth, chewing gum, anything. If you want to see the vapors released for yourself, watch this shocking video.

Mercury vapor from the amalgams passes readily through cell membranes, across the blood-brain barrier, and into your central nervous system, where it causes psychological, neurological, and immunological problems.

For an interesting comparison, consider that scientists recently made a wise warning about eating mercury-contaminated seafood. Well, eating such seafood will expose you to about 2.3 micrograms of mercury a day. A single dental amalgam filling, meanwhile, releases as much as 15 micrograms of mercury per day.

But that’s not all. The average person has eight amalgam fillings and could absorb up to 120 micrograms of mercury per day. Clearly this is cause for urgent action to be taken. I was NO different. I had 16 fillings by the time I was in college.

What to Do if You Have Mercury Fillings

I do not believe that pregnant women and children are the only ones who need to worry about the mercury in silver dental fillings. I highly suggest that if you need to get a filling, you see a biological dentist who can recommend a truly inert material that will not harm your health.

I also recommend that you have any existing amalgam fillings removed … but avoid making the mistake I did 20 years ago by having it done by a non-biological dentist. You see, when you have these fillings removed you can be exposed to significant amounts of mercury vapors if the dentist doesn’t know what he or she is doing.

Although they may be more than technically competent and one of the most skilled dentists the earth has ever seen, if they haven’t received training in how to remove mercury safely let me strongly assure you they will harm you.

My mercury exposure from having this done improperly nearly caused me to lose both my kidneys and go on dialysis. Fortunately, I have access to some of the best medical minds on the planet and I was able to have the problem reversed.

For this reason, I suggest you get healthy BEFORE having your fillings removed, as you want your detoxification mechanisms optimized prior to removal.

Once you’re ready to go ahead with it, I’d say only about 5 percent of dentists know how to remove these fillings safely, so do your research and seek out a highly qualified biological dentist. Some things that need to be done to keep you (and your dentist) safe during the procedure include:
  • Providing you with an alternative air source and instructing you not to breath through your mouth
  • Using a cold-water spray to minimize mercury vapors
  • Putting a rubber dam in your mouth so you don’t swallow or inhale any toxins
  • Using a high-volume evacuator near the tooth at all times to evacuate the mercury vapor
  • Washing your mouth out immediately after the fillings have been removed (the dentist should also change gloves after the removal)
  • Immediately cleaning your protective wear and face once the fillings are removed
  • Using room air purifiers"
I find myself muttering a familiar phrase: "I didn't know... I just didn't know."


  1. It is perfectly understandable to feel the way you do right now. My son was a 28 weeker and I am haunted daily by the shots he got even before his due date plus the 15 extra shots he received to prevent RSV. My son has not had any dental work yet, but I can imagine that if he did, I would be feeling the same way you do now. The fact is, all of the medical and dental professionals will stick to their story that 'it's all perfectly safe' until they are told otherwise by their governing authorities. To me, their assurances are meaningless.

    I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. For what it's are not alone!

  2. We learned about safe dental care when my hubby sought a second opinion to the dentist who recommended that he reset his jaw. We found a holistic dentist who removed his mercury fillings and mine. When the kids needed dental work, we made sure they didn't get the mercury fillings. We had to change our older son's dentist twice but found one we agree with.