Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hidden Sources of MSG

Before I post this list -- of hidden places to find our newest enemy (MSG), I hafta share this:

Hidden Sources Of MSG In Foods

From the book 'Excitotoxins - The Taste That Kills'

By Dr. Russell Blaylock, MD


What if someone were to tell you that a chemical (MSG) added to food could cause brain damage in your children, and that this chemical could effect how your children's nervous systems formed during development so that in later years they may have learning or emotional difficulties?

What if there was scientific evidence that these chemicals could permanently damage a critical part of the brain known to control hormones so that later in life your child might have endocrine problems? How would you feel?


Suppose evidence was presented to you strongly suggesting that the artificial sweetener in your diet soft drink may cause brain tumors to develop, and that the number of brain tumors reported since the introduction of this widespread introduction of this artificial sweetener has risen dramatically? Would that affect your decision to drink these products and especially to allow your children to drink them? What if you could be shown overwhelming evidence that one of the main ingredients in this sweetener (aspartate) could cause the same brain lesions as MSG? Would that affect your buying decisions?


And finally, what if it could be demonstrated that all of these types of chemicals, called excitotoxins, could possibly aggravate or even precipitate many of today's epidemic neurodegenerative brain diseases such as Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, ALS, and Alzheimer's disease? Would you be concerned if you knew that these excitotoxin food additives are a particular risk if you have diabetes, or have ever had a stroke, brain injury, brain tumor, seizure, or have suffered from hypertension, meningitis, or viral encephalitis?


Would you also be upset to learn that many of the brain lesions caused by these products in your children are irreversible and can result from a SINGLE exposure of these products in sufficient concentration?


How would you feel when you learn the food industry hides and disguises these excitotoxin additives (MSG and Aspartate) so they can't be recognized? Incredulous? Enraged? The fact is many foods are labeled as having "No MSG" but in fact not only contain MSG but also are laced with other excitotoxins of equal potency and danger.


All of the above are true. And all of these well known brain toxins are poured into our food and drink by the thousands of tons to boost sales. These additives have NO OTHER purpose other than to enhance to TASTE of food and the SWEETNESS of various diet products.


If MSG wasn’t harmful, it wouldn’t be hidden.


I can’t believe it, but – I couldn’t believe mercury and thimerosal in vaccines were considered to be “safe” either. Below is a partial list of the most common names for disguised MSG. Powerful excitotoxins, aspartate and L-cystine, are often also added to food, and according to FDA rules, they require NO LABELING AT ALL. I really want someone to prove me wrong on this! (Please?)


Hidden Sources of MSG

* Food Additives that ALWAYS contain MSG *

Monosodium Glutamate

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Protein

Hydrolyzed Plant Protein

Plant Protein Extract

Sodium Caseinate

Calcium Caseinate

Yeast Extract

Textured Protein (Including TVP)

Autolyzed Yeast

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Corn Oil

* Food Additives That FREQUENTLY Contain MSG *

Malt Extract

Malt Flavoring

Bouillon

Broth

Stock

Flavoring

Natural Flavors/Flavoring

Natural Beef or Chicken Flavoring

Seasoning (It just sounds vague, doesn’t it?)

Spices (I see this one a lot. When in doubt – I throw it out, or don't buy/use it)

* Food Additives That MAY Contain MSG Or Excitotoxins *

Carrageenan

Enzymes

Soy Protein Concentrate

Soy Protein Isolate

Whey Protein Concentrate



We are gluten-free, casein-free, yeast-free and now MSG-free. Our menu is changing, drastically changing!

I - myself, am not feeling too good right now, after reading all of the above... and I've read it at least 10 or 15 times, from several different medical doctors and on many, many websites, blogs and in books. Yeah - I am feeling rather discouraged, as a matter of fact. Where's my hope? Where's my comfort? Where's the protection that I want? Where's the protection that my children deserve?
Where is God in all of this?

Once again, I am in a place where I
often find myself ... without answers. I think money has something to do with it, to be honest. Those with the power do usually have the money... I do not have the answers nor do I know why I am on this journey. I know that I may not ever have all the answers and I am not going to waste my time trying to figure this out. I need to focus on getting Nicolas healthy and at least I have a place to start! I am so much closer to helping him than what I was 3 months ago. Still, we're just in the beginning... and we have a long way to go.

I really want to say, "Why is all of this suddenly happening to me?" It's not happening to me; it happened to Nicolas. As his mother, it is affecting me. I only have my human, mortal, maternal perspective. I never dreamed that this is what I would be doing, every day - reading, researching, looking for answers, treatments and clues that will lead to helping my son. Our son. Hey - I do have a husband! Sometimes I feel like I am all alone in this battle for Nick, but - I'm not. Hubs may not be the one discovering all these different things that have happened... and he may not be the one running around to doctors, appointments, etc. But - he is willing to do what we have to, in hopes of regaining OUR son. He's learning to read labels! He cleans our cast iron skillets and he sees little tiny signs of improvement in Nicolas. I am sooo thankful he listens to me rant on about vaccinations, fluoride and mercury... and I think he even hears me! (ha!) I am ok with Hubs... he's a great guy and I need his support. I have it too.


I am not ok with finding out that MSG is toxic for my child though. I am not ok with knowing that fluoride is harmful to my child. Gluten, casein, Teflon... Aspartame... yeast, thimerosal, mercury, bla-bla, bla... the list goes on and on... It's created chaos, is what it is. When will it end?

No comments:

Post a Comment