Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sami's Bakery Day & Some Sarcasm

Bread... yummm...





Do you eat a lot of bread? Does it taste good? And what about the texture - does it stay together or does it crumble apart? Hmmm? What about gluten-free, casein-free and yeast-free bread? Did you know that such a bread exists?

It does!

We've tried at least4 different GF-CF-YF breads. Nick's favorite is a millet and flax bread from Sami's Bakery in Tampa, Florida.

I can't take the credit for finding this awesome bread though... a curly-haired friend gave me the tip. And, she was right. We've tried others and always come back to Sami's.




I recently placed an order, late on a Monday night. It shipped out on Tuesday and on Friday morning, guess what came?



B R E A D

* ~ G L O R I O U S ~* - * ~ B R E A D * ~


Nicolas has learned to like foods that are new to him. Just because we didn't eat them in the past doesn't mean that they are a new food. Just new to us.

Since eliminiating yeast from the diet -- this also means no peanuts, amount other things. We are using organic sunflower seed butter on toast, as a healthy alternative to peanut butter. It's not bad, not bad at all. It's different. Different is not bad.




Honestly, Nicolas has done really, really well adjusting to our new lifestyle of healthy foods. I used to think that we ate healthy; what a joke. Unless it's organic, it's not healthy. You do know that - right? Oh, excuse me... that is unless you consider eating pesticides and insecticides as well as toxic chemicals the "new healthy"!

Wow - I am really feeling sarcastic this morning. Sorry. It has been a week of discoveries and that made it a very, very hard week. MMR's, MSG, yeast... yuck. Maybe when I wake up later today, I'll have a better attitude. No promises though.

I never intended for this blog to be a cheerful, warm fuzzy and cute chat room. It's my outlet and I can vent however I feel like it. After all, I need to cope and heal too. I recognize this. Accepting that your child isn't "perfect" can be hard. Accepting that your child is "different" can be a challenge as well. But, understanding that the things that have happened to Nicolas have affected him - affected his little boy body to the point where he is telling us that something is wrong, by his behaviors... and it's called autism... now that digs in deep. And it sucks. A lot.

That it! I'm going to be rich! The new autism slogan: Autism sucks.

Nice hey?

There are some nice slogans... but - since I am trying to heal my son and get him back, we are going to stay slogan-free; I am not going to label us either.

It's really allergies. Allergies suck.

Oh, would Hubs be mad if he heard me saying "sucks" all the time here. It's one of his pet peeves. That's ok, he says "shut" instead of "close". I know what he means. And I am not swearing. I do not curse. (Much...) or often. Wanna know why?

It's because I don't want to do anything to make Jesus sad. He gave me an autism-free brain and I have just enough intelligence to find synonyms that aren't curse-words. I need God in my life and He is. I also want to set a good example for our children - all three of them. Cursing not allowed. Bad attitudes... well, once in a while. Especially after a week like we just had.

Time to get my boiling organic chicken bones off the stove! I am making chicken broth for Nicolas, which I do on the weekends. Lots of cooking for the boy. Do you know how hard it is to find a chicken broth without yeast, MSG, wheat or dairy? I don't think it exists. So - I make it.

If you ever find some though - let me know? - Thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment